Social media is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Millions of people are using LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube; sites like Twitter are experiencing astounding growth rates.
Not only are people using social media a lot, but they’re starting to expect others (especially companies) to start using or already be using Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and other social media sites.
How many people use social media?
- 60% to 75% of Americans use some form of social technology
- 2/3 of the global Internet population visit social media sites
- Visiting social networking sites is the 4th most popular online activity – it’s more popular than checking personal email!
- Facebook has 300 million+ active users
- More than 5 billion minutes spent on Facebook every day, worldwide
- 40.2% of Facebook users are 35+ years old
- Over the course of 1 year (February 2008-February 2009), Twitter grew by 1,382%
- 35 – 49 year olds make up the largest user group on Twitter
- The average number of Tweets per day is 3 million
Other Interesting Numbers
- LinkedIn boasts 45 million users
- Over 3.5 billion photos are archived on Flickr (as of June 2009)
- It would take 412.3 years to watch every single video uploaded on YouTube
New Media and Business
A study by Cone showed that
- 60% of Americans utilize social media
Of that 60%
- 93% believe a company should have a presence on social media sites
- 85% say a company should not only be present, but interact with its customers using social media