On Tuesday some of the Key Web crew hosted our first ever Search Engine Optimization Seminar for local bloggers. We had a great time meeting local bloggers, eating delicious food and teaching others about SEO.
Finding a Location (And an Audience)
The planning for this event started a few months ago during an internal marketing meeting here at Key Web, where we discussed ways to build brand recognition throughout Richmond. Being a blogger myself, I mentioned the group VA Bloggers and how it could be fun to host a meet-up/class for them.
Gavin, our Project Manager/Copywriter, reached out to a connection of his at the restaurant Saison, where he used to work in the kitchen while he was a part-time employee at KWC, and things took off from there.
Saison was in the process of getting a new space ready, called Saison Market, and the store opening for that and our time frame for the meet-up matched up perfectly. With all those pieces in place, I reached out to Liz and the first VA Bloggers SEO Seminar, hosted by Key Web Concepts, was born!
Bringing the Plan to Life
Speaking of Saison, they were so amazing to work with. We are so grateful to Jay and the entire staff for letting us use the new Saison Market space and for providing us with delicious food and drinks! Among the amazing offerings were a delicious cardamom whiskey punch, pork belly sopes, cheddar cheese arepitas, and a bread pudding for dessert.
Gavin worked hard over the past couple months to research the most useful SEO tips for bloggers and to prepare his talk. We’re very familiar with WordPress here at KWC so teaching that part was almost second-nature, but Gavin also took the time to learn more about Blogger and the easiest ways to optimize on that platform. His talk was casual, fun and informative and everyone seemed to learn a lot.
In his talk, Gavin covered a variety of ways to help boost your Search Engine visibility such as:
- Claiming Google Authorship for your blog’s content, which gives you credibility as an expert on your blog subject.
- Installing relevant plugins. We shared a list of our favorite WordPress plugins, such as All-in-One SEO Pack, Google Analytics, Pin-It Button, and Google XML Sitemaps.
- Interlinking! If you get an idea from somewhere else or are inspired link to that source. Linking to reputable sources helps boost your ranking. And of course it helps when people link to you, so join a link party, submit to an inspiration site or volunteer to guest post! This gives you more readers and higher ranking potential.
- Post titles should reflect the content of your post; they don’t have to be overly clever. If you make a killer Buffalo Chicken Dip, then name the post “Killer Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe” instead of something more abstract.
- Make sure you give your photos titles and also edit the alt text. Search engine crawlers will pick up on those too! Plus, the image title will show up when someone pins from your post.
- Keep people on your site longer! Instead of writing big, wordy posts, break it up with images, bullets, headers or lists.
We are so grateful to Liz and Saison Market for helping us put this together and to everyone who came to the event! We had a blast and would love to lead another seminar in the future for anyone who couldn’t make it!