Increasing your level of engagement with your online community is one of the most important things you can do to boost your rankings on search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo!
Social media is an essential component to better search results because search engines want to deliver the best results to every user, and also provide increased visibility for legitimate companies who have developed a voice and presence on the web. Delivering engaging content that your followers want to share will signal to search engines that you are interacting with your audience, which will in turn provide a boost to your position in search results.
With the social media landscape changing constantly, you want to make sure you are staying engaged with your key audience and never falling off the map. It is very important to stay on top of the ever-changing realm of social media, including platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Google+.
This chart is an excellent representation of the cycle of social media supporting SEO:
Gadzoog’s great blog post, “How Social Media is Tied to SEO,” explains the most important steps to take to ensure your social media efforts contribute to the success of your website.
“Involvement with social media can help a website become more quickly established as an authority site. This occurs because of the increased traffic, the increased number of inbound links and the increased content that can come from the use of social media in the SEO plan of a business.”
First Things First…
There are many things that go into creating a great social media presence, but there is one thing you need before anything else, which is the most important:
THE USER – The individuals targeted through your digital media presence which make up the key target audience you are trying to reach.
Obtain users’ attention by:
- Building a strong fan base by establishing genuine relationships
- Engaging those who care about what you are posting – keep them coming back to see what is new within your company
- Thinking about your users and what they will want to know about your company
- Being relatable and passionate about what you are doing
How to make an impact:
There are many factors that affect your rankings when evaluating your web presence against your competitors. Choose which are the most important to your business to determine what you want to share with your audience.
- Use Social Media – One of the best ways to increase quality traffic to your website is through active management of your social media accounts. Engage with your audience, recognize their needs, and follow and understand trends in the market.
- Create a Blog: Sharing engaging content is an avenue with countless opportunities for increased SEO results, such as: key phrases, search queries, quality content, computer updates, conversation, etc. Posting regularly keeps people interested and gives you another platform to share what is relevant, valuable, and newsworthy within your company and your industry as a whole.
- Word of Mouth: Digital ‘word of mouth’ is becoming just as valuable as the age-old marketing method. With more people talking about your services and sharing ideas, you are sure to generate a great deal of indirect impact, including:
- Increased inbound links due to improved online visibility and brand awareness
- Increased positive reviews (in Google Local, Yelp, etc.) from happier customers
- Decreased bounce rate, a longer amount of time spent on your site, and more repeat visitors
Clearly define your goals:
Answering the following questions will help you define your goals for your social media efforts:
- What goals or outcomes would you like to achieve as a result of adding social media as a marketing component?
- What are your goals for a social media campaign?
- Build a larger audience online
- Get more involved in the community
- Connect B2B
- Drive users to the website
- Run specials
Moving Forward and Final Thoughts…
Once you have thought about how you will use social media to improve your online visibility and overall business sales, the next step is to jump right in! You can either run your social media for your company yourself or get help from a professional social media agency. Key Web Concepts offers custom social media management packages that fit the needs of your company. We offer three packages for varying levels of social media assistance:
- The Consulting Package – We help you with feedback, suggestions, and strategy
- The Management Package – We make updates and run your social media accounts for you
- Customized Package – We tailor a combination social media/SEO package for you
In addition to the management packages, we also offer social media training sessions for those who want to learn the ins and outs of social media from one of our amazing team members.
We hope to grow and share our experience of social media with businesses who want to learn more, or for those who need help managing their accounts in order to keep up with today’s fast-paced online society.
When managed properly, social media accounts can have a hugely positive impact on where your company’s website appears for the search terms you want to be found for. If you are interested in our social media services and support, contact us to set up your free consultation today.